Thursday, March 29

Shift Space update

So the student gallery Shift Space that I was working on getting funding for from SGA got great news today. After rejection, appeals, and being sent back to committee (the meeting was last night), we were approved for $21,500! That is enough to cover rent and then some for a year! It took a lot of hard work, phone calls and old fashion politics and some high school politics too. I have become the unofficial Art Advocate to SGA. I am an amateur lobbyist of sorts. It's kind of cool, I feel powerful, like I'm actually doing something meaningful. Campaigns are going on at school and I have started to be the voice for art students so I am getting a lot of e-mails from the different parties, mostly one, the one we don't like. But they are trying to get our support, through me. Anyway, it's been exciting and it's neat that a lot of people now know me by name.

Also, I entered nine black and white photos in a school contest and one was received for the show and it won first place! I get a cash prize of like $50 or so and a blue ribbon. When I get it back I can post it. It's still up at the Student Center's gallery.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

thats way awesome emily. i am so proud of you. us houtz's have always loved a challenge and the chance to be in charch. lets face it, we love power. how fun to have so much influence.
and big congratulations on winning the prize. can you post the winning pic?
love ya

Angie Washington said...

Congratulations Emily!

I, too, would like to set he winning photo. :-)