Sunday, March 11

Nine is just fine

First, I extend a hearty welcome to our first Omaha delegate to jump on the family blog band wagon! We are glad that you are with us Shawn.

Raimy had a GREAT birthday celebration. The horse back riding was a blast. She was so happy because the guide taught her how to hold the reins and turn the horse all by herself. The guy was just walking along beside her and the horse, but she was doing it! All her little friends had a good time too. Timothy and Gabrielle were not frightened at all. Click through to my Xanga site to see some other photos. I will be making available more pictures later because there was another gal with her camera there and she is going to pass me some great shots that she got.


After the horse back riding we all came back to the house and had games, pizza, cake and presents (in that order). After a bit more play time the girls got dressed for bed and we put on Annie. At 9:30 I sent them to bed. The laughing, jokes, tickling, talking, and giggling finally lulled to a hushed whisper and occasional squeak at about 10:15. They were all asleep at 10:30. Not too bad if you ask me. At 6:30 Sunday morning they were chattering away again. Donuts and scrambled eggs (per request) for breakfast and then off to church.

On the ride out to the horses and then all throughout the party spontaneous song broke out. All but one little girl were friends from church. All the songs were ones that the kids knew from Sunday School. They had so much fun singing at the top of their lungs. Later on in the party the little girl from the neighborhood asked, "How do you all know such fun songs?" The matter-of-fact response was, "From church." She then said, "I want to come to church to learn those songs." So the girls told her that she should come.

As the kids were restocking their pop-corn, chips and drinks during the movie one grinning little girl sighed contentedly, "This is the best night of my life!"

It was amazing to me that though this was the very first slumber party for ALL the girls they instinctively knew the appropriate customs for such an event. They had it all! Pillow fights, food fights, running around and screaming, rolling all together in a pile while they were inside their sleeping bags, giggles galore, buddy bathroom runs, trying on each others clothes, ... the list could go on. I felt like I was watching one of those nature documentaries and any minute a low soothing voice-over would blurt out something like, "We will now observe the pre-adolescent females join together in the ancient grooming rituals as the cute pink barbie brush is passed from one head to the other. Note the apparent lack of importance placed on the actual end result ... "

I am so glad that Raimy had a fun time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a little girl's dream night as mentioned by one. I wish I could've been there but as a younger version of myself. It all sounds wonderful. Good for Raimy and good for you, Ang.

JILL said...

"Slumber Party Outreach", "Sleep Over Evangelism", "Giddy, Giggling Girls for God", sounds like a movement or at least a lot of fun. Great birthday Raimy. We love you. Too bad adults are too adult to have that much fun.
Love from Oma and Opa.

Anonymous said...

Moms comment above was actually from me but I didn't hit the button correctly.
Dad