Friday, March 2

Hi I'm in

This is my first post. I had a learning curve of trial and error to properly access the site. I'm sorry to say took way too long.

I just read a book entitled "Execution: the Discipline of Getting Things Done" by Larry Bossidy.
He has a good line I will share with you all: "We don't think ourselves into a new way of acting, we act ourselves into a new way of thinking".

He also had much to say about culture (he was referring to the business setting, but it also applies pretty much universally).
"Culture is the sum of shared values, beliefs and behaviors. It may come from training, experiences, what we have heard, and our perceptions."

I enjoyed the weather earlier this week when it got up to 72 degree F (22.2 C for the Bolivians). I was able to do some biking. 25 miles Monday, 18 miles Tuesday and 28 miles on Wednesday. Then it got cold and windy (50 F/24 C and below) and the bike is in the garage. It is only 20F/-6.77C now. I still go swimming no matter what the weather (I try to get a mile in each morning that is 72 lengths of the pool).

We have been interviewing college students as candidates for new engineering jobs at or internships at Cargill. One girl I interviewed yesterday was Katherine Pfefferkorn. She is a Chemical Engineering student, University of Missouri-Columbia. She is the President and founder their local chapter of Engineers Without Borders. She managed a team that went to Bolivia the Summer of 2006. They helped a village in the Andes about 70 miles from La Paz for landslide stabilization and improved sanitation. She was impressive in many ways and we are going to offer her a job.

I also read an article "Grumpy is Good" by David R Butcher. Bad moods may not be so bad after all. A new study claims that grumpy workers are the most creative. According the Jing Zhou, an associate professor of management at Rice University. He suggests that both positive and negative moods are necessary for optimal productivity. Good moods enhance expansive thinking, which can be particularly useful when brainstorming strategies, yet bad moods demonstate a discontent with the status quo and a need to fix it--qualities that are useful for creative problem solving. Another recent study, led by psychology professor Adam Anderson at the University of Toronto, also showed the "a bubbly mood may enhance creativity, but feeling happy can actually hinder the ability to focus on a task". The article also went on to later saying "there is that thin line between grump and jerk". Just wonder what your experiences and feelings are on those comments.

Greetings to all, love DAD (sometimes known as Opa)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to make it in.

I like the quote that you shared: "We don't think ourselves into a new way of acting, we act ourselves into a new way of thinking."

There is an engineering student here at our church who is considering her internship options. One of them is Michigan. Those engineers sure know how to get around don't they?

"Grumpy is Good" I agree that it takes a team of mixed moods to arrive at optimal creativity. We call it Holy Discontent in our field. Being unsatisfied with the current state of affairs is sometimes the inspiration for effective changes. We could alter the saying a tad and postulate: "Discontentedness is the mother of invention".

Good thoughts.

Unknown said...

I like the "Grumpy is Good" but was wondering if it is true, then are my most productive/creative moments in the morning? Maybe it depends on what you're grumpy about. I know I can be grumpy about a narrow aspect of my life and the rest is delightful. Sometimes the grumpy overshadows everything else outwardly but I still feel it all inside like a feeling salad with maybe a few mushrooms atop.

Did any of that make sense? ...Ramblings can be therapudic I believe.

Shawn said...

Dad,
i loved this entry. very intilectual. Dad you are constantly inspiring me.
Love you.