Friday, May 9

Mother's Day Weekend

This Sunday marks two important events in our family. The first being the celebration of motherhood, an honor bestowed on each sister and the matron of our nucleus. We are also celebrating the wedding anniversary of "Oma" and "Opa". More to come about our dear parents. For now I wanted to post this poem so that this weekend we may meditate on the influence that our own mothers have had on us and the impact that being a mother has had on us as well.

“Reflections on Motherhood”

a poem by

Laura Kavan

As a day honoring Mothers fast approaches,

I, as a mother, am thinking and thinking.

This whole celebration is quite out of order.

So little of the credit belongs to me

Who just happens to be a mother.

As I sit and write, great humility fills my soul.

To think that so much honor and praise

Can go with the most wonderful thing in the world

The honor of being a mother.

A feat I could never win alone

Yet on this day, the honor is mine.

But the trophy is so great, I guess I’ll just accept

Then try in this small way

To make you all, who I love so dear

Understand just how much you mean to me.

For without you, a mother I would never be.

Mother and Gram and Gramp or whatever you’re so fondly called

Your part in my fame is supreme

For without your love and teaching and help along the way

A wife and mother I could never be.

Les, ‘Daddy’, ‘Dear’, ‘Honey’ or whatever else I may call you

My love for you must tell you all the things in my heart

Because feelings so deep, words cannot express

But your contribution to my great day

Is ever increasing as each year passes

Til now, you must share this honor with me

For apart from you, this wonderful person, a mother I could never be.

And to you dear children –

Joyce, Jerry, Jill and Kristy

I’m so proud to be your mother

Tis honor enough to share the happiness you produce

Without a special date to honor someone so humble as your mother.

Now as my thoughts begin to ebb.

I must praise and honor you, dear God

For this wonderful way of life

And ask you to help me be, a Mother

As understanding as Thee.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Angie,

Thank you for posting that. (sniff, sniff, sob, sob)