Thursday, April 9

ER

I have been a mom for almost three years now and last night we had our first emergency room visit for one of the kids. Fortunately it was for something that was not too sereous. Sasha was playing in the mud and got a shovel full in her face. She got quite a bit in her eyes. Despite my best efforts to wash them out I was not able to get it all. When I called our pedeatritian they recomended we go to the emergency room because mud in the eyes could cause corneal abrations and infection. So off we went. We were in and out of the er in under two hours, impressive. They numbed her eyes with droppes so that they could examin them with out too much discomfort. then they had to flip her eyelid inside out to check for scratches, yuck. She really did not like that part. Then they put some orange die on her eyes. She really hated that part. Then they turned off the lights and turned on a black light. And all i saw was her eyes glowing orange in this dark room. very spooky. After all that it turned out to all be ok. there were no scratches and no signe of infection and we were free to go. She was happy because she got to pick out a toy to take home, so all in all a good visit. but it was really hard for me to see my baby scared and crying to go home and that it hurt. It almost made me cry.
Nick and I were pretty sure that any kid of his would end up in the er in the first year. But Sasha has proven to be very sturdy. With all the climbing and dare devil things she does we are surprised that we havent had any broken bones or concussions.
Thank you Jesus for your angels of protection around my brave little girl that tends to get herself into a lot of precarious situations.
In the end it was a little mud in the eyes that sent us to the er, for the first time at least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know she is ok!

Let's see... I have eleven years of mommyhood under my belt and there have been just two runs to the emergency room for my kids. One of those was while I was traveling. Tyler had to have a 2 inch squared chunk of sponge removed from his nostril. The other time was a couple of ears ago. Timothy had to have stitches on his hand. That's it.

JILL said...

Oh Baby! I so understand the feelings you had. It is so hard to see your baby being hurt and hurting! So glad you all go through it just fine, with no further problems! Shasha is a little trooper! Hug her for me!

Unknown said...

Ali has had her share of ER visits: Broken arm after diving over my shoulder and over the back of the couch before she was two, concussion after getting literally "clocked" after a big heavy wooden clock fell off the wall, and of course the benign tumor she developed in her neck at just a couple weeks old. So we've had MRI, CT scan, cast, IV and ultrasound, and knock on wood, no stitches!